Wednesday, October 01, 2008

Swimming...It's not as easy as it looks

In addition to the yoga I've been doing over the last couple of weeks, I have now added swimming to my weekly workout. On Mondays, to be specific. The pool at the YMCA is open year-round, and it's heated, which is a plus for me. I don't do cold water. (As in, nun-uh, ain't gonna happen.)

Let me tell you, Michael Phelps and the other Olympians made it look way too easy. I was never on the swim team, but I know the freestyle stroke and back stroke, and a very, very poor breast stroke. After 50 yards (which is one lap down and back), I was panting. It really increases your heart rate! In my very unexpertise opinion, I think it has something to do with the breathing (besides all the other work your body is doing!). In yoga, you are supposed to be very focused on your breathing, taking deep breaths in and out through your nose. Even when I used to run (also very, very poorly for anyone that knows me), I was told to try and stay focused on your breathing, in and out through your nose, very steady. But with swimming, it's a whole different ballgame, because you're holding your breath, and then breathing very quickly. I haven't quite got used to it. I was explaining my problem to Brett on Sunday night, and he suggested breathing every 3 strokes. I tried it, and it did help, but it's just going to take some getting used to. And, getting back in shape wouldn't hurt either.

All in all, though, it's a lot of fun. It's a really quick workout, and something I enjoy. I can't imagine what it takes to swim all day, like Michael Phelps does. I certainly have a greater appreciation for everything the Olympians accomplished. Here's to all of you.

4 comments:

Dani said...

I wish I could get the desire/will/whatever up to get into some serious kind of exercise routine. I use to run back in the day (poorly too, I might note) so I can understand the difference in swimming breaths vs. normal breathing. Maybe it would be easier to breathe and swim doing a back stroke?

His Mercy Endureth Forever said...

Wow! I admire your stamina! I too have an aversion to cold water. Our pool hovers around 72 degrees even in the hottest of FL summer days. I think I've only been in the pool twice this whole year, because it is just so stinkin cold.

Brittany said...

You are really giving me a kick in the bootay. I need to get moving and shakin'! I'm going to go run now! THANKS : )

Owl of the Desert said...

Hi Dani. Yeah, I've tried doing backstroke when I need a lap or two to catch my breath. It's definitely easier to breathe, but I also worry about hitting my head on the concrete at the end!