Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Are you kidding me?

While taking lunch at work, I'll occasionally look at the news headlines for the day at msn.com. This one definitely caught my eye:

IT'S SNOW JOKE: SAN DIEGAN TRAINS IN FREEZER FOR ANTARCTIC ULTRA MARATHON

These days, I can maybe, maybe run a mile. Much less a half marathon. But, I do have a lot of respect for people that are blessed to run. And for this guy, Mike Pierce, well, maybe intrigued is the best word. Because he's going to Antarctica to run more than a marathon. To be precise, he's running 62.1 miles. In Antarctica.

Now to prepare, and this also caught my eye, he's running in a 60 x 40 freezer, with most of his gear on. (Kinda sounds like an advertisement for L.L. Bean or Land's End as you read about his different layers of clothing.) The freezer stays at about -5 degrees. I always enjoyed running in cooler weather. Something about the way the wind hits you right in the lungs, and you can feel the crisp air. But, I am in no hurry to try out -5 conditions.

Pierce said that last year there was a total of 9 runners. And that simply to finish was like winning a medal because you had not only finished the run, but you had survived. Now that sounds like a competition.

No comments: