Sunday, October 16, 2005

An interesting fact, a German custom, Middle Eastern food, and lots of friends...

I have been meaning to post for a couple of days now, so I'll try to order this post into the events I want to discuss…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I am currently reading Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America’s Continuing Debate over Science and Religion, by Edward J. Larson.* I was slowly making my way through the first part of the book, when I read two words that made me do a double-take: Primitive Baptist. So of course, I read the paragraph another two or three times, just to make sure I was reading correctly. The following is an excerpt:

“Fundamentalism drew first blood in Tennessee today,” a January 20, 1925 article in the Commercial Appeal reported, “in the introduction of a bill in the Legislature by Senator [John A.] Shelton of Savannah to make it a felony to teach evolution in the public schools of the state.” A day later, John W. Butler offered similar legislation in the House of Representatives. Both legislators had campaigned on the issue and their actions were predictable. Butler had justified his proposal on Bryanesque grounds: “If we are to exist as a nation the principles upon which our Government is founded must not be destroyed, which they surely would be if…we set the Bible aside as being untrue and put evolution in its place.” Butler was a little-known Democratic farmer-legislator and Primitive Baptist lay leader. For him, public schools served to promote citizenship based on biblical concepts of morality. Evolutionary beliefs undermined those concepts. Driven by such reasoning, Butler proposed making it a misdemeanor, punishable by a maximum fine of $500, for a public school teacher “ to teach any theory that denies the story of the Divine Creation of man as taught in the Bible, and to teach instead that man had descended from a lower order of animal.” Most of Butler’s colleagues apparently agreed with this proposal, because six days later the House passed it without any amendments.


Mr. Butler, a Primitive Baptist, wrote the piece of legislation that formed the background for the Scopes Trial. There we are, scattered throughout history. The trial itself is another issue, for another time...but, I will leave you with this…It was all staged. The town of Dayton simply wanted publicity, and Mr. Scopes agreed to take the fall. The end result was something much larger.

*Larson, Edward J., Summer for the Gods: The Scopes Trial and America’s Continuing Debate over Science and Religion (Cambridge, Harvard UP, 1997), 49-50.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I have become friends with a student from Germany, who is studying at Alabama this year. She is in one of my history classes. She recently had surgery on her right wrist, and has been unable to take notes. So, I typed my notes and gave them to her. She then asked me to go to Starbucks with her after the next class, and I agreed. I had planned to just grab dinner, while she drank coffee. I had been looking forward to an opportunity to just sit and chat with her. When we got to the Ferguson Center, our student center, she was really encouraging me to get something to drink. She then explained how it was a German custom that if someone did something nice for you, you bought them a drink in return. I couldn’t turn her down, and I had what she had: an Iced Mocha Latte. It was actually pretty good. We had a lovely conversation…discussing the upcoming Oktoberfest, her wearing a durdle (sp?), the loveliness of Alabama, Bavaria, etc. I thoroughly enjoyed myself, and I was disappointed that I wouldn’t be able to attend Oktoberfest with her. Go talk with a foreigner…it’s amazing what you can learn.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Friday night I had the opportunity to visit with my roommate from this past summer who attends Samford University in Birmingham. We went to dinner with one of her suitemates. I can always count on Jennifer to take me somewhere exciting to eat. Over the summer, we had Indian food together. This time…it was Middle Eastern at a Middle Eastern Food Festival in downtown Birmingham at a Greek Orthodox church. I had a kimbee sandwich. I learned it was a mixture of lamb meat, spices, bread, etc., in a pita with lettuce and other spices and sauces. It was really good. I had never had lamb before. Jennifer’s analogy was “meatloaf.” I didn’t have “lamb meat”; I had a combination of lamb and other stuff. Courtney, her suitemate, had Falfala. I also had hummuce, which wasn’t a favorite of mine. It was my second time to try it, and my second time to dislike it. We wanted to see some Greek dancing…but we had to leave so I could make it to my next event…

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

…which was Elder Guy Hunt and Sister Ann Smith’s wedding. Lovely, lovely, and lovely. Wonderful conversation…good time…great friends. Beautiful singing as well. And, I did cry.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Saturday, Elyanaweh and I went to Ebeneezer PB’s meeting. We heard six different preachers during the morning and afternoon services. The meeting was greatly blessed. I heard some wonderful sermons. The food was great, and the fellowship was excellent.

And…the Alabama Crimson Tide beat the Ole Miss Rebels, 13-10. We are now 6-0. Roll Tide!!!!!!!!!


Sorry for the long post…just a lot has happened.

No comments: