Tuesday, July 12, 2005

The Pilgrim's Progress

Ever since moving to Tuscaloosa for school, I have been an avid supporter of the Friends of the Library Bookstore. It sits on the edge of Tuscaloosa's Public Library, and it opens three or four days a week. The books, as well as magazines, tapes, etc, are all donated. The books are then sold for 25 cents or 50 cents, and some of the older or hardback or first edition books are $2.00. (All the money raised supports the library and its events.) I love to spend my free afternoons wandering through my favorite sections of the store, looking for a good find.

Last week, I found one of my favorite finds thus far - The Pilgrim's Progress on audio cassette! Unfortunately, it is the abridged version, but in this case, I decided to not be picky. I am on the second cassette now, and I feel that I will spend quite a few trips back and forth to Jasper or Birmingham or wherever enjoying this great story.

We can relate to Christian in so many ways. The people he meets. The trials he faces. Yet, Christian tells each person he meets of his journey, where he came from, and where he is going. He constantly refers to his "good book." He knows what it says, he believes it, and it comforts him.

I pray that I would "take the name of Jesus" with me wherever I may go, and I pray that I would be more dilligent to read His holy word, from which I can draw strength, encouragement, comfort, and instruction.

No comments: