Friday, February 18, 2011

Crazy Love

Tonight I went to dinner at Nabeel's.  It's almost becoming a weekly tradition.  The food is delicious, and the atmosphere takes you to somewhere else.  Somewhere in the Mediterranean.  I like it, though, because I can simply bring a book or two and read while eating something fantastic.


So, I brought my One Year KJV Bible and the book Crazy Love by Francis Chan.  I have not followed the "days" at all, so I'm reading somewhere in June.  Before reading, I asked God to reveal whatever I needed in his Word.  And He did.  Of course He did.  I read 1 Kings 19:1-21.  It tells the story of Elijah, who after defeating the prophets of Baal, runs away from Jezebel.  He tells the Lord how hard he has worked and that only he is left among his servants.  And God reveals himself to Elijah in a small voice.  Elijah repeats the same words, and God tells him to go anoint Elisha.  Usually the focus of this story is that God had 7,000 others who had not bowed down to Baal.  But, tonight I focused in on the fact that God sent Elijah to anoint Elisha.  At one of Elijah's weakest moments, God reminds him that he is raising up servants to serve the Lord.  He is not the only one right now, nor will the ministry die with him.  What a comforting thought!

Then, I started the 2nd chapter of my book, Crazy Love.  I can already tell that it is going to be a perfect accompaniment to the Bible Study I started on Tuesday night.  The first chapter was all about re-discovering God.  Realizing just how awesome He is.  If you haven't seen this, you should really take a few minutes to watch the video below:



Pretty amazing, right?  That doesn't even do it justice.

The 2nd chapter, then, is all about death.  That may seem strange, but Chan points you to the fact that the "Movie of Life" is not about you.  It's about God.  He makes this parallel.  If you were an extra in a movie, and only your head was seen for about a second, yet you rented the entire movie theater out so people could see it, they would think you were crazy.  The movie obviously isn't about you.  And so it is with life.  We are here for a fraction of a second, and our entire purpose is to glorify God.  That's what it's all about (not the hokey pokey...sorry, I couldn't resist).  Let us be about our Father's business.

"Set your affection on things above, not on things on the earth."


"And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him."


Colossians 3:2,17

No comments: