Thursday, September 24, 2009

Readings

Hosea 11

(7) And my people are bent to backsliding from me: though they called them to the most High, none at all would exalt him.

(8) How shall I give thee up, Ephraim? how shall I deliver thee, Israel? how shall I make thee as Admah? how shall I set thee as Zeboim? mine heart is turned within me, my repentings are kindled together.

(9) I will not execute the fierceness of mine anger, I will not return to destroy Ephraim: for I am God, and not man; the Holy One in the midst of thee: and I will not enter into the city.

In three verses we have both man's complete depravity and God's innumerable mercy. Truly, the whole book of Hosea is about God's people turning their back on Him and worshipping idols. They seek fulfillment in the world, and have forgotten their Maker. God tells His people through Hosea that judgment is coming. But, ah, look at verses 8 and 9! Admah and Zeboim were cities that were destroyed with Sodom and Gomorrah. God says he will not execute the fierceness of His anger. He will not destroy his people, as with Admah, Zeboim, Sodom, and Gomorrah. And why? Because He is God, and not man. What a truly marvellous thought in seven words.

No comments: