Friday, April 11, 2008

Remembering

I remember riding many a mile
with Maw Maw in the right seat
and Aunt Louise in the left.
We drove to town, all around,
in comfort and style.
And in the back of the Cadillac
I sat, watching with a smile.

A tape cassette played Travis Tritt,
and I heard Achy Breaky Heart
a dozen times or more.
I never paid much attention
to what the words meant.
But my aunt belted the chorus out,
and asked, "Are we having fun yet?"

Maw Maw carried her water with her,
however short or long the trip.
And her pocketbook
was filled with every coupon
to save dimes and quarters.
I realized why she kept so much
when I studied the Depression Era.

It's odd, the things you remember
when several years have past.
And yet I can recall
my aunt's smile and my grandmother's
jumpsuits and white sweater.
Her big hugs and quiet country voice.
Memories to last forever.



4-9-2008

3 comments:

Dani said...

I am most glad to know that I'm not the only one who remembers the most random of things.

Kelly Spezzano said...

We never sing the song Precious Memories in church, but I think it's a great song when thinking about family and friends! Precious memories, how they linger. How they ever flood my soul! In the stillness of the midnight, precious sacred scenes unfold!

strem said...

Great poem. It was wonderful to picture these special ladies - even without having met them. It was great to see them through your eyes.