Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Duty

I haven't had the chance to watch any of the televised presidential debates to date, but tonight posed the perfect opportunity. Table and a friend were using the living room to study, so I took my dinner to my room, and through the marvels of Google, found a link to videos of the presidential debates. I watched the most recent Republican Party debate which was held in Orlando, FL. The whole hour and half plus. It was fascinating. I loved watching the candidates interact with each other and the audience, and seeing them respond to questions, instead of just reading their stances and ideas on various issues.

As for the title of this post, I felt like I was engaging in my part of this presidential race by doing my duty as an American citizen, and trying to become informed. We have been given such a wonderful gift in the opportunity to vote in this country. THINK about that for a moment. YOU get to VOTE for who you want and ideas you want. As my dad always says, "If you don't vote (and just purely because you don't, not because you aren't able or are of age, etc.), don't complain about who gets elected. You have the opportunity to make your voice known. People, that is power. If we don't like our representative's voting record, then elect someone new! Or, perhaps, run for office yourself! We must act, because it is APATHY which will lead our nation to destruction.

So, even though the presidential election is a year away, start becoming informed now. Talk with friends. Engage yourself. Believe me, the year will fly by.

If you're interested, the link to the GOP Presidential Debate I watched is below:

http://www.youdecide2008.com/video/video-fox-news-republican-debate-from-orlando-florida/

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the link and I hope you enjoyed watching the debate.

I agree with your analysis, we have the choice to vote so with that responsibility comes the duty to be informed. There's no reason not to be especially since we now have the ability to archive and watch these debates whenever we want to.

Dani said...

I'm not going to leave a rant, though I seem to post a blog ranting about this every election. I'm just going to say "AMEN!" and "Hear, hear!"

strem said...

I fear so much of the pre-election information has passed me by. Even though I've caught a few debates, your post has motivated me to get caught up on a few key ones that I've missed. I pray God blesses us with good candidates in the future... not just the opportunity to pick the lesser of all of the evils like so many other elections we've had. Thanks for the link.