Tuesday, August 28, 2007

A Farewell to a Pair Unlike Any Other


Last night I laced up my soccer cleats just as I have done many times before, preparing to take on the field and whoever may come my way. I haven't played in a couple of years. I played two seasons of intramural soccer while at Alabama, and before that, I was on the field every fall since third grade! I just can't describe the joy and excitement I feel when I'm on the field - I just know I belong there. I'm always ready to play.

A friend called me up yesterday wanting to know if I wanted to play, so as soon as I got home yesterday, I started looking for all my gear. Out of all the sports I've played, soccer has stuck with me, and so have these cleats. I have had the cleats above since middle school - that's about 10 years. They have been one of my favorite pair of shoes - comfortable, oh so right on my feet, worn in. They know me, and I know them. I've never even thought of parting with them...

But last night, after about 30 minutes on the turf (we were playing indoor soccer - something new for me), I noticed my right foot was hugging the inside of my shoe. After a while I could feel my foot sliding off of the heel. I tried to take no notice to it, and it wasn't until we took a break after an hour that I learned the awful truth...my shoe had completely ripped open on the left side. I could touch my foot. I was devastated, in a sense. These were my all-time favorite soccer shoes that had never left my side, that gave me confidence, that could pass, shoot, steal. They were proven.

I went to the snack counter and asked for some tape, which somewhat held the shoe through the second hour. I suppose looking back it should have been a bittersweet moment - wearing my 'Ole Faithfuls' one last time. But, I was caught up in the moment, and of course, now it hits me.

I shall miss these shoes dearly, and probably still won't part with them. Rather, I think I will keep them somewhere. And then, perhaps my children or grandchildren will find them someday, and I can tell them this story, one part of a larger story, which, in truth, is just one part of a much bigger story.

5 comments:

Tara said...

Hate to say this... But looks and sounds like you do need a new pair of soccer shoes, my dear. But yes, definetely keep them for sentimental reasons.

Table of Stone said...

1) you put the shoes on our place mats for this picture.
2) seriously, did you not expect your cleats of 10 years to die at some point. I could be wrong but I'm betting that your foot has grown in ten years. Just a guess.
All to say, I'm pretty sure it was time.

Owl of the Desert said...

Yes, but I think the place mat adds something. Something green. Do you not agree?

strem said...

I agree. They just wouldn't look the same on my purple placemats. (Besides, the weave makes it look sort of astroturf-ish.) Hope you're able to find some new shoes that will someday, somehow, feel just as special as these do.

Dani said...

Awww, I am sad to see the death of such long faithful shoes. A moment of silence...