Thursday, January 25, 2007

I Knew It!

Most everything Sci-Fi we read and/or watch will eventually be unveiled. Consider Jules Vernes. He was thinking about submarines, missions to the moon, etc. long before they ever came to pass. Some of you may consider Science Fiction material to be outlandish. But, somewhere, somebody is thinking...THAT can be done. And, then they build and work and invent until eventually they achieve what at one time people considered VERY, VERY futuristic.

Well, I am pleased to announce, the future has arrived. (Not that you didn't already know that, I'm sure.) But, just in case you missed it today, the military announced interest in a new weapon! (No, no, not lightsabers...not yet anyways. But, key a drumroll please...)

A RAY GUN!!!!


It is designed to emit a 130 degree beam, which makes the recepient feel as if they are on fire, and yet it is not lethal. It penetrates thick layers of winter clothing, and has a range of more than 500 yards! (For those who like visuals, that's more than 5 football fields!)

I grew up wondering when we would actually have ray guns, transporters, long-distance space ships, and of course, lightsabers. (What can I say, I'm a fan of the lightsaber.) And now, one of those is here.

What can I say...we are in the 21st century. Shouldn't our cars be flying by now, too?

5 comments:

Something Creative said...

Very, very cool. Or not so cool, as the case may be. I'd still like one to shoot at people. But I feel like it can't be safe. Anything that makes you feel like you're on fire probably causes cancer or something.

--KJM

Cal-el of Krypton said...

now THAT is cool... or you could call it "hot" (chuckle.... ahhh I just crack myself up). I'm glad it's on our side. and I wonder who the first guy was that said.... "ok it's just invisible frequency waves. You can try it on me." The semi-auto rail gun is next or lazer targeting from space!!

Dani said...

I'm for lightsabers too. When they can harrness this thing like that, awesome. Of course I'm thinking about what I could do to my brothers if I had such a heat/ray gun thing here at home...

toesthattwinkle said...

YESS!!! I love ray guns!!! I'm planning to invest in one for myself.....haha:]

Lynn Bruce said...

i want a ray gun i can point at dirty dishes and laundry stains. litter along the highway.

and cockroaches.