Friday, February 03, 2006

"Hammer, hammer hammer, Saw, saw, saw..."

Today I started volunteering with Habitat for Humanity. I have a class this semester that requires a community service component, and since I've always wanted to work with Habitat for Humanity, I put that as my first choice.

Now...other than the work done around the house...I haven't done much construction. I've painted alot. I've torn down wallpaper. I've landscaped pretty often. But, constructed a house...never. So, today I started learning.

I think both the houses I was working on today were houses that weren't built by Habitat, but we were re-doing them. First, I put foam on the edges of the roof from the inside - so that air has a pathway even after we put the insulation in (in the attic). For that, I used a STAPLE GUN. (And a RAZOR BLADE...to cut the foam when it wouldn't fit.) Afterwards, we started framing a closet. I used a HAMMER, though not very successfully the first time. (I was much better nailing down, than sideways.) I learned what a TOENAIL was - nailing at an angle. And, finally, I used a POWERSAW! It was very exciting.

I can already tell that my right arm is going to be very sore tomorrow. But, I will have some good muscles by the time this semester is over. It feels so good to be doing something helpful, and getting outside and working at the same time.

2 comments:

beatrice said...

Cool! That's a great program -- I've always thought it would be pretty neat to volunteer there.

fa-so-la-la said...

I can just see you in those overalls...